marginally in the news!

Subject: marginally in the news!
From: Gil Yaker <gyaker -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:50:30 -0400

check out http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/20170.html (Open
Source Grows Up, by Leander Kahney )
especially the last quote.

While I don't want to debate the meaning at the end of the story, I have
often thought that as the open source movement grows, we as tech writers
might of any group stand to profit the most monitarily from the developers'
work. Isn't that the whole story of O'Reilly and Associates? Sure, perl
comes "free" with almost every UNIX distribution, and Larry Wall has duely
received his share of credit, but only the scores of books on Perl are what
seem to be actually making money.

Well I don't know, I'm young and maybe publishing a book is such a hellish
endeavor that very few people want to do it, but I'm just thinking out loud
here :)

Gil Yaker
gyaker -at- csc -dot- com
Computer Sciences Corporation