Re: Types of Training

Subject: Re: Types of Training
From: Mary Deaton <m_deaton -at- KWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 08:17:30 -0700

Aoidin,

Check the American Society for Training and Development, ASTD, for a list of
research papers and sites with more information. The Masie Center site has
information specifically about computer training. Instructor-lead classroom
training wins hands-down on effectiveness, but it is the most costly form of
training to provide. The move to computer-based, web-based, and self-study
is a result of the high cost of providing training via the classroom.
Depending on what you are training people on, who those people are, what
level of performance they need to have once training is completed, and a
host of other factors, computer-aided training can be a very good solution.
It is too simplistic to say that one form of training works in all
situations for all people.

The training programs I have been developing over the years combine
classroom, self-study, and computer-based training to provide a continuum of
training that serves the needs of a variety of learners. We also work on
projects in which everything from the interface to the classroom training
are coordinated in design and implementation to ensure that learning can
take place at any time someone is interacting with the application and the
all of the pieces serve to reinforce one another. Even using Help screens as
part of the classroom training can raise the learner's performance level by
making sure they know how to use Help and by having Help reinforce what they
heard in the classroom.

Mary Deaton
President, KNOWware, LLC
(206) 682-6113
* Smart User Assistance and Training http://www.kware.com
* Microsoft MVP for HTML Help
* Program Associate, Winwriters 200 Online Conference
http://www.winwriters.com/ohc.htm
* Speaker, HElp Technology Conference,
http://www.winwriters.com/htc99.com
* and all-around great gal!