Re: Any UNIX users out there?

Subject: Re: Any UNIX users out there?
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:32:46 -0700

> FrameMaker was the most-often suggested, but Frame (apparently) does not import
> HTML or export it well.

Frame exports to HTML OK but insists on using Cascading Style Sheets
(CSS).
This is either great or awful, depending on your point of view. I
usually
clean out the garbage.

Frame does not import HTML. However, there is a product called
"HTML2Frame"
which converts HTML to MIF. This is probably an FAQ and I might be able
to track down other 3rd party filters.

> the suggestion in-house is now that we use LYX (LaTeX) or TexInfo with
> help from importation and exportation software.

You could also use Nroff (or Troff, or Eroff).

>Has anyone out there tried this? Is it going to be a huge pain?

Yes, I've done this. Yes, it's a pain. Conversely, done rightly,
it's also the most powerful DTP I've seen. That is, I can _still_
do more using vi, Nroff, and sed scripts than I can do using FrameMaker
5.
(But Interleaf 5 came close, if you don't mind spending 10,000$).

Just a thought.

--
Dave (The Man) Blyth
Sr. Technical Writer