Re: Menu Options

Subject: Re: Menu Options
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 13:38:11 -0400

Well, most of the style guides I have followed (Apple, Microsoft) say to
use "choose" for menu "commands," not "select" for "options" or "items."
(Microsoft's guide says to use "click" or "choose," while Apple's says
"choose." Since I write for both platforms, I go with "choose.")

That said, I've always liked the structure:

Choose New from the File menu.

That doesn't support submenus very well, I'm afraid, but I usually end up
saying "Choose New from the File menu, and choose Document from the
submenu that appears."

I'm not thrilled with this, but from handouts to students and other
feedback, I find the --> or pipe (|) too obscure for some novice readers
to understand.

----->Mike

P.S. I've never liked the reverse-order "From the File menu, choose New,"
although I understand that it's closer to the order in which the action
is actually done. I just think it sounds funny. ;-)

On 6/7/1999 10:49 AM, Letty Smith (lsmith -at- CTILIMITED -dot- COM) wrote:

>So ... which is
>better:
>
> 1. Select the File -> Save As... menu option.
>[snip]

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=