Re: thanks yous and interviews from hell

Subject: Re: thanks yous and interviews from hell
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:46:11 -0700

Hi, Margaret.

I don't know if you read my other post about maybe
being a contractor rather than an employee has colored
my stance on Thank You notes.

However, in reading your response, the thought that
actualy crossed my mind was that if a Vice President
interviewing upper managers for several weeks makes a
decision to not hire someone he does want because he
didn't get a Thankyou note "a couple of days
previous", then maybe that Vice President has his
priorities out of order.

Aside from the possibility that it got lost in the
mail, held up in the mail, it's sitting in the mail
room, he was interviewed on a Thursday and it's
Tuesday during a holiday season, etc., etc., anyone
who makes a decision about an upper management
position that could have an affect on his company's
and shareholder's bottom line based on a Thankyou note
with no further investigation comes off to me as a
pointy-haired type of manager.

> >I cannot believe that someone would go through an
> interview that costs
> BOTH of you several valuable hours of your day, you
> make a good impression,
> you have the skill set, the experience, and the
> approach methodology, and
> they are sitting there thinking to themselves...
> "Gee, we really think he
> will be an asset to our organization, but saying
> thank you and shaking our
> hands on the way just isn't enough. We'll wait until
> we get a note from him
> and if we don't we're just going to have to settle
> for the looser that was
> in after him who did send us that note."
>
> Back in my pre-techwhirler executive secretary days,
> I had a boss, a Vice
> President, who had been interviewing candidates for
> a senior management
> position for several weeks. One day he asked if he'd
> gotten a thank-you
> note from a candidate he'd interviewed a couple days
> previously. When I
> said no, he said, "That's too bad. I was going to
> make him an offer, but
> when a candidate doesn't send a thank-you note, I
> take it as a sign that
> he's not really interested in the job." He made the
> offer to another
> candidate, who accepted.

===
John Posada