[no subject]

From: "Olive, Eric" <EOlive -at- GLHEC -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:33:49 -0500

Lotus Notes may be a good candidate for this project. If, by "field team",
you mean that the team's members will travel and need remote access, the
replication features in Lotus Notes would make it a strong candidate for a
doc management project. There are, however, other considerations. Lotus
Notes is not well suited to extremely long documents or documents requiring
software with the ability to perform heavy duty number crunching. Notes is
also somewhat limited in terms of it's formatting capabilities and each
Lotus Notes database has a size limit. In R4 it was 4 gig. I don't know what
the limit is in R5.

In short, Notes is a good doc management s/w package and relatively easy to
set up. Like all s/w packages, it has limits, in this case, db size and
minimal math functions. The latter may be a factor in an engineering group.

Eric O.
Compuware Corporation

Henry Vandelinde wrote:
I have been approached by a small engineering group that wants to set up a
consulting team and is interested in having me provide a documentation
platform in a virtual environment.

The project would involve setting up a system whereby the field team can
access material, track documents, and add new ones, as well as providing a
central template bank to use as for development records and progress
reports.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=