Re: Grading writers?

Subject: Re: Grading writers?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:31:10 -0500

> Does anyone have any thoughts on a company in which all technical
> writers are "Technical Writers," regardless of experience, number of
> years, etc.? Maybe they think there will be hard feelings if one person
> is "just" a technical writer and the next person is "senior" technical
> writer.

IMHO, grades such as Senior TW or TW II or Documentation Goddess should
be based on job responsibilities, not tenure. I don't like the idea of
upgrading or promoting people based *only* on longevity. And as for
experience... if someone can do my job just as well as I can even though
they only have 6 months of experience, that's no reason to give them a
less prestigious title than mine. So I would have no problems with such
a policy (assuming all people with the same title perform approximately
the same duties), but that's just my opinion.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=