Providing References (Was: Interview from hell - recommendations)

Subject: Providing References (Was: Interview from hell - recommendations)
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:50:00 -0500

Personally, I never provide references with my resume. They take up too much
space, and there's the problem with keeping them up-to-date, as Lisa points
out here.

Here's what's worked for me: I state that I have references available on
request, and I bring a list of references with me to the interview. That way
I can prepare a list of references appropriate for the position I'm being
interviewed for, and I have it ready in case they ask. I've always called
the people on my reference list in advance, to tell them what I've applied
for, and to make sure it's still OK for me to use them as references.

Interviewers are going to decide whether or not they're interested in hiring
you on the basis of the interview. They won't bother checking references
unless they're really considering you seriously, and they want to make sure
you've been truthful. If they ask for references, then you know they're
serious. If they don't, then you don't have to spend any time fretting about
whether they're going to offer you a position.

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com