Re: Migrating MSWord docs to a web site

Subject: Re: Migrating MSWord docs to a web site
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:28:37 -0500

Richard Dominguez wrote:
<My company is in the process of migrating a large number of manuals to its
web site so that clients can obtain timely revisions of documentation
supporting our securities processing software, which is revised every four
months. We're leaning toward MS FrontPage as the primary tool to convert Word
material, but I'm not satisfied that this is the correct tool to use.>
<snip>

The client site that i'm currently on assignment at has recently gone through
a similar situation. Converting existing documentation en masse to HTML was
judged as both too costly and too difficult to maintain. Beside, we want a
tool that would use the existing MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Visio documents
and not only display them, but make each available for viewing and printing on
the company's intranet site.

We use Net-It, a Java-based application that compiles "documents", displays
them as if you were viewing a print file, and allows users to print and even
download documentation. It's a pretty cool product. The best part of it
though, is because it accepts Word, Excel, etc. files with little or no
editing, it's encouraging users in departments other than IS to take charge
and get involved.

You can find out more about Net-It at http://www.net-it.com/.

Hope this helps,

jarnopol