Re: Interviews from Hell

Subject: Re: Interviews from Hell
From: John Garison <JGarison -at- IDENTERPRISE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:57:37 -0400

Having been on both sides of the desk, and seeing that this thread is
still going on, I would like to share a couple of things.

My worst ever interview: It was 1975 and I was interviewing at Digital's
mill complex for a tech writing job. I had a degree and a few years
experience at another software company, and I thought I knew what I was
doing. I was warned that this would be a full 8 hour day of interviews,
and it was.. But the most memorable interview was with one of their
Fellows. I was ushered into a room where there were several quotations
written on a blackboard. An older guy walks in, points at the first
quote and said "Thomas Mann said that. What do you think of it?" This
was the beginning of the most surreal hour of my life. The questions
continued in this manner until he said "Thank you." and left, exactly 60
minutes later.

On the other hand, I've also interviewed a slew of prospective writers,
and I must say that, as a manager, the job does not always go to the
most qualified or most skilled applicant. My hierarchy of Things
Relevant When Hiring a Writer has, as the most important thing -
Attitude. If I find a good person with a positive, team oriented,
let-me-at-it attitude, I will almost always hire that person over
another with more time in grade and more experience if the other person
is smug, full of him/herself, has an attitude problem, or just plain
won't fit in with the rest of the group. As a manager, I have to put
together a team. Sometimes I look for a position player, sometimes I go
for the "best all around athlete" (sorry for the sports metaphors). But
I get judged on how well my team produces, and one person who causes
internal conflict can spoil the whole mix. So - if you have ever
thought you might be qualified but didn't get the job, look inward. I
haven't always gotten every job either, and I honestly do think it might
have to do with attitudes (mine or theirs!) and personality mixes.

My 2¢ worth ...

John Garison
Principal Technical Writer
Integrated Development Enterprise, Inc.