Interview Etiquette (was The Interview from Hell!)

Subject: Interview Etiquette (was The Interview from Hell!)
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:21:41 -0500

Tracey Moore told of an interview from hell and said:
<snip>
So the interview came and went. Then nothing. No phone call, no letter,
nothing. Well, I hate that. I sent the customary thank you letter.
<snip>

Not to belittle Tracey's or Ivan's experiences, but what has happened to the
"customary thank you letter"?

I just went through a rather intense search for a techwriter at my client site
and only one of the 12 people we interviewed even bothered to send a
thank-you. Okay, some of these people came through head hunters, others came
through contract-to-hire agencies and some even came from the ranks of this
list.

It's been almost 2 years since I've interviewed for a position, and I
distinctly remember sending thank-you's to people who took the time to
interview me, regardless of whether or not I wanted the position. I even sent
them for telephone interviews.

Is this now passe?

regards

jarnopol