Re: This page intentionally left blank

Subject: Re: This page intentionally left blank
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:58:08 -0400

I'll add my comments to this one....

I used to do this as well (Xerox-influence). About 4 - 5 years ago, I realized
that it looked really stupid because the page wasn't blank - it had something
on it. I agree though, that you want the user to realize that they aren't
missing anything, the copier/printer didn't screw up.

For a training manual, using a page for Notes was a really good idea. When a
manual is used for this purpose it makes sense that the user might want to make
notes. But what about a non-training style user manual?

I came up with the idea of adding extra material at the end. It might be a
summary of key points covered in the section, or questions the user needs to
ask themselves, next steps, or even where to find additional information on the
material presented in that chapter/section. I try to be consistent across all
chapters though or else it looks weird.

So... the amount of *extraneous* information I add at the end of a chapter
depends on how much information I need to add to get the chapter to end on a
left page. This takes a bit of skill though, so that it doesn't look forced.

The end result is really nice.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree