Re: "Navigate" or "explore"?

Subject: Re: "Navigate" or "explore"?
From: "Beard, Samuel" <Samuel -dot- Beard -at- GSC -dot- GTE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 13:12:44 -0700

Darren Barefoot said:

<snip>
Well, Microsoft and Netscape aside, the two terms have differ =
significantly
in their connotative and denotative meanings. See below:

Speaking subjectively, the term "navigate" has a greater sense of purpose
and direction than "explore." Navigate also strikes me as more local than
explore, as "tactical" is to "strategic." If one "navigates" the Northwest
Passage, I think one knows full well where one will end up. If you "explore"
it, though, it sounds to me like you're just poking about. For the same
reasons we disdain the term "surf" as being too haphazard. Just my two cents
worth. DB.
</snip>

In addition to what Darren Barefoot says, methinks Microsloth hath ulterior
motives in defining the correct term as "explore" all things considered. Of
the choices given, I'd prefer navigate, then move through, and lastly (very
much so, for both the reference to MS's IE as well as Darren's observation)
explore.

Sam Beard
Technical Writer
GSC, GTE (soon to be Bell Atlantic-GTE, soon to be something else
entirely!!)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=