Phrasing recommendations -Reply

Subject: Phrasing recommendations -Reply
From: Kathryn Northcut <KNorthcut -at- TASC -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 07:54:58 -0600

I've run into this several times lately, and when possible, I go with this:

"To avoid blah blah, use the default rather than changing the user name."
If I can't document what they're avoiding (or whatever verb fits), I'd just
cut off the part before the comma. I totally agree that "it is recommended"
and "we recommend" without attribution is uncomfortable.

(I am also careful about what comes after a "not" to avoid ambiguity.)

Kathy

>>> Lief Erickson <lerickso -at- MQSOFTWARE -dot- COM> 05/21/99 10:21am

I searched the books I own and the list archives and did not find any
information about phrasing recommendations and I hope the list can help.

Currently the manual reads, "We recommend that you do not change the
user
name and leave the default." The "We recommend" part is where I
shudder
(and struggle). I do not want to say "It is recommended..." either.

How should I phrase a recommendation for installation or a setting within
software program? Any suggestions?

-Lief Erickson
MQSoftware, Inc.
lerickson -at- mqsoftware -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g., SIGNOFF

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=