Re: Rumors of FrameMaker's Death are Untrue, says Adobe

Subject: Re: Rumors of FrameMaker's Death are Untrue, says Adobe
From: Todd Sieling <tsieling -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 16:47:59 -0700

I'm sorry, but marketing clout does not define success. What of Microsoft
Bob? What of Channels in Internet Explorer? What of Active-X components
targeted for the Web? There are all MS ideas that never flew and that MS has
had to eat the cost in what amounts to failed products or product
components/features. While I don't think that it is your intent, I think the
implication of your statement, that millions of people who run otherwise
very successful businesses set in competitive industries, have been
hoodwinked or hypnotized by aggressive marketing, is off-color if not
completely off the mark.

And as far as the logical consistency of posts on the list goes (as you
roundly browbeat another contributor for), you yourself are guilty of making
a statement and then following up with different evidence (stating the
reason for Word's success, and then inviting benchmark comparisons of
database management programs as a proof).

If you want to make a statement about where marketing oversteps reasonable
bounds, go ahead, but gross oversimplifications do a disservice to us all.

Todd Sieling

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=