Re: deadline question

Subject: Re: deadline question
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 09:20:07 PDT

David Thompson asks:

I am reasonable new to this game and I have a deadline for On line help for
Friday evening. Thats suits me fine and everything was planned to meet this
deadline. However, it is now Wednesday and "they" are still throwing stuff
at me to put in the Help.

Is this common? If so, what do you do?

Tony Markatos responds:

The goal is to work to ESTIMATES -- not DEADLINES. Estimates are a trait of
mature organizations (i.e., Project oriented organizations). Key points
about estimates:

1.) They are based on the best information available at the time. And they
are meant to be revised as additional information becomes available.

2.) Estimating is not negotiating (for additional time and resources).

3.) Estimating is not wishful thinking.

3.) Estimates always include statement of the assumptions that the estimate
is based upon (such as: "Assume no changes", "Assume that there are no
delays in obtaining needed information or resources", "Assume an eight hour
work day").

4.) Estimates are "brought-off" by management. If the assumptions need to
be changed, so does the estimate.

Tony Markatos
tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=