PDF questions: file size and graphic quality

Subject: PDF questions: file size and graphic quality
From: GERRIOR Suzanne <GERRIORS -at- IATA -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 11:59:10 -0400

Jessica Lange said:

> I have a short manual I want to make available to internal personnel, in
PDF format, from our internet.

> > Well, the file is too large (nearly 4meg). It doesn't appear in the web
> browser on either of the computers I tried. (snip)

We have found a product called DJVuer that converts scanned files (we
understand that it can also do the same for regular PDF files) into more
manageable sizes that are suitable for a Web page (Internet/Intranet). It
makes higher quality, smaller-sized images. The technology uses a
compression technique that achieves compression ratios as high as 1000:1 -
which is 5 to 10 times better than existing methods. Black and white scanned
pages can be compressed down to 10 to 30 KB from 25 MB. You can find more
information on DJVuer at http://www.feith.com/DjVuer/DjVuer_Registration.htm
and http://www.djvu.att.com/. We haven't used it yet, but are considering
purchasing it. You can download a demo version from their Web site.

Suzanne Gerrior
Digital Media Analyst - IATA
gerriors -at- iata -dot- org
Tel: (514) 874-0202 ext. 3431