PDF questions -- file too large for web viewing

Subject: PDF questions -- file too large for web viewing
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- OEE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 10:20:49 -0400

I have a short manual I want to make available to internal personnel, in PDF
format, from our internet.

So I took the 8 chapters, converted them to PDF, then merged them into a
single pdf document, and made the bookmarks for the TOC. I created a link on
a web page.

Well, the file is too large (nearly 4meg). It doesn't appear in the web
browser on either of the computers I tried. (No error message: just nothing
appears. Then when you close the browser, the Reader item on the task bar
doesn't close. When you then right-click to exit the Reader item, an error
message for acro.exe (I think) appears.)

Notes: when downloaded to a machine, the pdf file opens in Reader just fine.
The problem appears to be downloading over the intranet. No, I can't use
byte-serving (server doesn't support it). Also, I've done this same thing
for other, much shorter (6 pages max) documents, and *that* works just fine.

Questions:

I could split the large file into smaller files (by chapter), but how do I
have one TOC for all files that remains visible no matter which chapter
you're in? Can that even be done?

I could give the user the option of downloading the pdf file to their local
hard drive--rather than opening in browser. But I don't know how to do that
with an <a href> tag. FTP is not an option. Does anyone know how to do http
downloads?

Oh, Acrobat Exchange 3.0, if it matters

thanks in advance for any advice
Jessica

Jessica N. Lange mailto:jlange -at- oee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=