bitmaps in pdfs

Subject: bitmaps in pdfs
From: "Moore, Tracey" <TMoore -at- PARKERVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:02:17 -0400

I've seen this discussed before, and I searched the archives, but the
results I got didn't answer my question. I apologize for bringing this
up again, please respond to me directly.

I created a pdf using the PDF writer in Word. The doc contained a ton of
screen shots. The pdf displays the screens shots very badly. They're
almost unreadable. In Word they look great.

I went to the Adobe web site and it said that screen shots exist in the
wild at 72 dpi, and Word smoothes them out to look good, but pdf does
not. Adobe says to lower your screen resolution before taking screen
shots, then saving the screen shots at a minimum of 200 dpi.

Well, I've tried redoing the screen shots using Corel Photo Paint, Corel
Draw, PaintShopPro Image Composer and MS Paint. Nothing has helped. What
I can't figure out is how to change the dpi settings at which the
bitmaps are saved. The Save As and Export dialogs just say "save as"
bmp, gif, tif, jpg, etc., nothing about changing the settings other than
uncompressed to compressed.

How do you save a bitmap at 200 dpi or higher from a screen shot (that
is only 72 dpi anyway)?

Thanks for your help!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=