Re: Guide name quandry

Subject: Re: Guide name quandry
From: Jean Weber <jhweber -at- WHITSUNDAY -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:33:52 +1000

While I sympathize with those who are caught in the middle of a debate
among co-workers regarding such things as "User Guide" vs "User's Guide"
etc (and are looking for an umpire), I have to ask:

What difference does it make? Is anyone going to be confused by calling the
book by one name or the other? I don't think so.

Surely there are far more important things for us to worry about, that DO
have important consequences on our readers' understanding of whatever-it-is
we're writing about.

Note that I am NOT advocating the wholesale mis-use (or non-use) of
apostrophes, but a bit of prioritising. In this case, all of the titles are
functionally equivalent, quite unambiguous, and in common use. What does it
matter which one you choose? If you and your co-workers (or boss) can't
agree, pull the winner out of a hat or something.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
mailto:jhweber -at- whitsunday -dot- net -dot- au

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=