Re: consulting $$ question

Subject: Re: consulting $$ question
From: Eric Robertson <erobertson -at- EPICON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:07:15 -0400

Check out Janet Ruhl's site for information about tech consultant rates:
http://www.realrates.com

I didn't see any rates listed specifically for DC and tech writing, but it
should give you a good picture of what people are getting. Plus the site has
a BBS for ongoing discussions about contracts, brokers, clients, and legal
issues.

To tell you the truth, $42 seems a bit low, given your experience and the
fact that as an independent you'll be paying your own taxes and expenses. In
the Boston area, which probably has a market equivalent to DCs, you can get
this as a W-2 rate through a broker. A more reasonable rate might be $50-65.
However, if this is a startup and they are giving stock options, the hourly
rate might balance out. You're risking immediate pay for future gain.

In any event, congratulations on getting that first direct contract.