Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals

Subject: Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals
From: Bob Gembey <bob -at- SUPERNOVA -dot- NL>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:47:52 +0200

There's a time and a place for everything, including contractions. To say
that they are never appropriate in software manuals is like saying that it
is never appropriate to go to a restaurant without a tie on (for a man, at
least). It depends on the restaurant, the manual, the product and the
audience. To make a very broad generalization, Americans tend to accept a
looser, more informal style, than the British. The style of writing
employed in Dutch, German or Russian documents is even much more formal
than that employed by the British, and is much further removed from the
spoken language. So, perhaps when the audience is a non-English audience
reading in English, then all the comments about avoiding contractions
apply. Let's let reason and common sense prevail on this one. A good
technical writer can probably feel intuitively when or when not to do so,
but in any case, to his own heart he should be true. He will function best
using his own voice, and if he had a strict 7th grade teacher, his voice
will be more formal than if he didn't. But if the company standard demands
another style, I would recommend following it unless you can convince them
to change it.