drifting away from the uNiX debate

Subject: drifting away from the uNiX debate
From: Bill Marcotte <billm -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 15:45:09 -0400

<snip>
> The example sentence "If you are using the Digital UNIX
> system..." does use UNIX as an adjective, but is still not
> proper usage because the adjective is not modifying the
> the "right" noun for the product type, which would be
> "operating system". To use the UNIX trademark properly
> would require some awkward construction like "If you
> are using the type of Digital system that runs the UNIX
> operating system...".
<snip>

I took the example from Digital's UNIX web site
(http://www.unix.digital.com/). Today I went back to check for some specific
examples of usage (or at least, how they like to say it) and it turns out
Compaq is changing the name to Tru64 UNIX. In any case, they use the
phrasing "Tru64 UNIX operating system". My question: what's wrong with using
"Digital UNIX operating system" or similar phrasing? I've read over your
reasoning and am not sure I understand. Isn't that like saying that
"Microsoft Windows operating system" is also incorrect?

Bill

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=