Re: Illegitimate Questions?????

Subject: Re: Illegitimate Questions?????
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- JAEDWORKS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 12:40:42 -0700

At 11:29 AM -0700 5/6/99, Comeau, Lisa wrote:
[agencies should ask whether you've interviewed at a specific company
before submitting your resume there]
>In an ideal world, this could be done. HOWEVER, a recruiter is just as
>reluctant to tell you what clients they send interviewees to as you are to
>tell them what companies you've submitted to.
>[...]
>Do you expect that the recruiter will tell you "Since you won't tell me
>specifically what companies you've interviewed with, why don't I get out my
>trusty list, read off the names of all of the companies I'm recruiting for
>so you can go there yourself, and I don't get a commission".

No, of course not. But in my experience (which is only from the
"recruit-ee" side of the desk), although the recruiter generally doesn't
want to mention the company's name when first bringing up the position with
me, by the time we reach the point at which we've decided it's a good fit
and the recruiter is ready to submit my resume, he or she will tell me the
company name. This is not a wholesale broadcasting of potential hirers.
It's to both our benefit that I know the company name at that point, for
all sorts of reasons. Similarly, it's reasonable at that point for a
recruiter to ask, "I'm about to send your resume to <company>; have you
interviewed with anyone there yet?" and expect an answer.

My point here is that both sides of the transaction benefit from asking
about a single specific company, but that's not the situation Ivan was in;
he was asked for the list of companies he was interviewing with, which is
no more proper than to ask recruiters for a complete list of their
currently-hiring clients.

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=