Need advice - being criticized for helping

Subject: Need advice - being criticized for helping
From: Anne Halsey <Wrdfinesse -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 23:31:54 EDT

Hi, all.

I'm tossing this one out to see if anyone else has encountered
a similar situation.

Several months ago, I embarked on a job search. During that
effort, I managed to build a good network of friends, colleagues,
and professional organizations through which I garnered job leads.

Also during that period, friends and colleagues heard that I'd become
rather well-connected in terms of leads. I was contacted by
approximately two dozen people and asked if I would share
leads that I received. Being an amazingly nice person (truly!),
I agreed to forward leads to anyone who asked.

Today, I found out that a former coworker has been rather
vocal about his/her disapproval of my willingness to help others
by sharing my leads. (Aside: 95% of my leads come through
personal contacts or publicly-accessible websites; roughly
5% of my leads come through a membership group, but 9 out of
10 of those leads I hear about through other sources BEFORE
they are published through the membership group; and 8 of the
10 are typically published through the local STC jobline, which
does not require membership to access.)

My colleague's position is that I'm giving unfair advantage
to "lazy" job seekers who don't pound the pavement and
explore their own avenues. My position is that I'll provide
what I know to anyone who asks ... the truly qualified will
have the edge.

Comments? Criticisms?

Anne Halsey
wrdfinesse -at- aol -dot- com