Upcoming Conferences: TECH/COMM99 and STCAC

Subject: Upcoming Conferences: TECH/COMM99 and STCAC
From: John Solomon <conference -at- SOL-SEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 16:33:17 +0000

Anne McDonough recently posted responses she received about
the differences between TECH/COMM99 and the STC annual
conference (STCAC). We at SOLUTIONS would like to explain
why we've introduced TECH/COMM99 and correct some
information that's been posted.

*WHY TECH/COMM99?*

TECH/COMM99 is geared to experienced technical communicators
and managers. This audience repeatedly tells us they are not
adequately served by existing professional development
events. That's one reason that SOLUTIONS expanded our
seminar program to include week-long clinics. (That's also
one reason that JoAnn Hackos founded the Center for
Information-Development Management.) Most programs and
conferences for technical communicators don't go beyond the
basics.

At TECH/COMM99, you'll get a program that consists of
industry experts who are proven speakers presenting on the
topics they know best. Ginny Redish on usability, Aaron
Marcus on web design, Nancy Hoft on globalization, Bill
Gribbons on information design, Judy Tarutz on editing, Saul
Carliner on metrics, Paula Berger on project management,
Scott Boggan on help, Char James-Tanny on RoboHELP,
Jerilynne Sander on FrameMaker, Edmond Weiss on
writing...the list goes on and on.

*WHAT ABOUT STC AND THE STCAC?*

We wholeheartedly support STC as **the** professional
organization for technical communicators. SOLUTIONS and its
principals have been active in STC at the local, national,
and international levels for many years. In fact, we'll be
presenting, exhibiting, and generally enjoying the
Cincinnati conference. Many of our presenters are also very
active in STC.

TECH/COMM99 will intentionally be a much smaller event than
STCAC. STCAC has tracks on research and education, chapter
development, and more. We don't. STCAC has many more
sessions than TECH/COMM99, too. However, we have 50
top-notch sessions presented by industry experts who are
accomplished speakers. Nearly all the sessions at
TECH/COMM99 present information that is not available at
another conference.

*WHAT ABOUT HELP CONFERENCES?*

WinWriters and SOLUTIONS jointly present The Help Technology
Conference, which focuses on technology and techniques for
help and web developers (August 25-28 in Boston, MA). This
is the only SOLUTIONS help conference. We did *not* have one
in Orlando.

*IT'S YOUR CHOICE!*

Not all conferences are alike, and we're glad you see the
differences. If you must choose, we encourage you to choose
the one that's right for you. For more information, check
http://www.techcomm99.com or call 800-448-4230.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=