Re: Did ya ever wonder?

Subject: Re: Did ya ever wonder?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 09:01:29 -0400

Hallo:

>>><<...and don't get me started on the fact that it now takes
>>>14 hours to
>>>compile the help on my computer (but only 45 minutes when I
>>>test it at
>>>home on a Pll-300)>>

Why are you taking the stuff home if they won't give you the tools at work.
Give them (them being the managers or those in charge of dispensing
equipment) the same consideration they give you.

>>>Seems to me you could produce a report that tracks the
>>>number of hours
>>>it takes to compile each help file you did for a month, as opposed to
>>>how long it takes you at home. Then tie that to dollars (sorry, don't
>>>know the Israeli equivalent). If I'm the boss paying the
>>>bills and you
>>>showed me something like the following, I'd take a hard look!
>>>
>>>On the office computer -- 112 hours to compile 8 help files
>>>= $5600 (my
>>>hourly rate x 112)
>>>
>>>On the home computer -- 6 hours to compile 8 help files = $300 (my
>>>hourly rate x 8)
>>>
>>>This equates to $5300 worth of my time you could have
>>>utilized in other
>>>areas.
>>>
>>>A cost of a new PII 400 is $2500. You SAVE $2800 in one month alone!

That's why companies don't want all their tech writers to be contractors.

I recommend providing the time study or moving on.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=