Re: Did ya ever wonder?

Subject: Re: Did ya ever wonder?
From: EZRIEL <ezriel -at- GALOR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 12:56:43 +0200

The problem as I see it is that there are many companies who still view
technical writers as secretaries who just write, and as such, do not
rate exceptional computers.

(NOTE: I am not starting a thread on the relative value of technical
writers)

Personally, I was just "upgraded" from a Pentuim-75 to a Pentium-133
with 16 whole Mb RAM. In order to get this fabu-lous-y tool, I had to go
balistic four or five times. The person in charge of computers and
systems keeps putting in a request for a better computer for me, but the
Powers-That-Be refuse to budge on this. (BTW-the 4 secretaries/admin
assistants just got Celeron 400 machines).

As opposed to the contributor who said that she would walk, I just spend
twenty minutes several times a day opening up the six or seven
applications I need to produce the help that I am working on. Her
solution is great for a contractor, but in this job I am a captive with
a family to support.

...and don't get me started on the fact that it now takes 14 hours to
compile the help on my computer (but only 45 minutes when I test it at
home on a Pll-300)
Ezriel Yellin, Technical Writer ezriel -at- galor -dot- com
Gal-Or Systems and Software Development Ltd.
Tel-Aviv, Israel
...thus the metric system did not really catch on in the United
States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine
milimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=