A couple of miscellaneous questions about online help

Subject: A couple of miscellaneous questions about online help
From: Richard Feldman <rfeldman -at- CFSLC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 13:56:37 -0600

Greetings, Technical Communicators of the World,

1. As a consumer of Windows OS application software, I like to supplement
my documentation resources by printing topics from online help. Since most
of the time my help topic prints don't include the name and version of the
software, I end up annotating by hand info regarding the software to which
it applies. I keep wishing that help topics would print out with software
name and version number. Do any of you work with producing help systems
that have this feature? If not, have you ever considered including it? I
seem to recall that in my WordPerfect days, WP help produced a copyright
statement under various circumstances, although that lacked version info.

2. My company has just purchased some fancy requirements management
software for which I may become the main in-house training and support
person. In pondering how I might best fulfill that function, I wondered
about creating online help to supplement the help files furnished with the
commercial product. Has anyone done any creating of supplemental online
(or other) help for in-house use of external products? Any lessons or
insights to share?

If the archives contain a timely discussion of either of these issues, I
would welcome being pointed toward the appropriate search strategy.

Best,
Richard

Richard Feldman, Technical Writer
Camber Flight Simulation LC
5550 Midway Park Place, Albuquerque, NM 87109 e-mail: rfeldman -at- cfslc -dot- com
PH: (505) 342-5369 FX: (505) 343-0766

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=