Re: Educating Rita

Subject: Re: Educating Rita
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 09:11:45 -0700

<<<Too much to quote, everything snipped...>>>

Some engineers are happy to take input on the UI from writers. Others
aren't. I give input in any case, based on the assumption that we're all
part of the same company.

For best results, tread lightly. You won't get a good response if you start
in with "this UI sucks," even if it does. Offering suggestions works best,
also, point out how bad UI comes across sounding dorky in the writing.
Finally, as Andrew points out, respect the division of labor, and don't
pitch a fit when your suggestions are ignored. Engineers often have really
whacked-out ideas about what should be documented, so we don't want to have
to implement their suggestions any more than they have to take ours.

- Scott M
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=