Re: Power Words

Subject: Re: Power Words
From: Documentation <Docs -at- ALTN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:53:22 -0500

>You're correct, the industry commonly uses these terms. I also believe
>that "plugs" and "receptacles" are much better terms. They are clear and
>specific. We used to live in a male dominated world. We may still live
>there, but things are changing, word by word.

Male dominated world?!? My goodness, how can you leap from a discussion
about terms such as "male and female parts" (which is so common that I'm
amazed that any adult could possibly be confused about its meaning) to that
"male dominated" statement. Those terms have nothing whatsoever to do with
a "male dominated world". They are simply common terms with an obvious
descriptive meaning. They have no sexist or demeaning connotations at all.
It isn't as if people are saying "male and babe parts" or "male and bitch
parts", or something worse. I can see it now... some time in the near
future some feminist is going to sue her boss for sexual harassment because,
while she was assembling a piece of office equipment, he told her to "put
the male part into the female part".

Only in America could something this stupid be of concern. Every time that
I hear of something like this I want to tell everyone, "Go on a mission trip
or feed some orphans or something. Find out what's important in life
instead of stressing over crap like this." Billions of people don't know if
they're going to have food to eat today; all we have to worry about is
whether calling an inanimate object "female" is going to offend someone.
Sheeeesh!

Oh well, my rant is over.

Mike