Re: Netscape 5 problem with PDF files - THE SOLUTION!

Subject: Re: Netscape 5 problem with PDF files - THE SOLUTION!
From: Anne Chenette <anne -at- INSTRUMENTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:42:41 -0500

Wow, what a great resource you guys are! Not quite 24 hours later, and
I have a solution! Turns out the answer was on Adobe's customer support
page all the time; I just didn't see it...

After some confusion (oops) caused by my mistyping the version number for
Netscape Navigator (I meant 4.5, not 5), it turned out that the our secure
server was a factor in the problem.

The actual problem: PDF files from a secure site (https://) that are larger
than 50K are blank in Navigator 4.5. (The actual size may vary depending
on the amount of memory in the system.)

The wonderful Lisa Campbell sent me info about an Acrobat support article that
describes the problem with Netscape and secure servers. This article explains
how to change your preferences file to enable the SSL disk cache.

In case anyone else has the same problem, the solution is available as document
number 311184, "PDF Pages Are Blank Inside Web Browser Window." You can find
it at the following URL:

http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/SOLUTIONS/3d76.htm

Thanks again for all the help!

Anne

> From anne Thu Apr 29 13:56:43 1999
> To: techwr-l -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> Subject: Netscape 5 problem with PDF files
>
> My problem: PDF files don't display in a Netscape 5.x browser.
>
> I am a newly trained Adobe Acrobat user (thanks to a great class at the
> Science Museum of Minnesota!). I've been practicing my new skills by
> putting PDF files on our intranet.
>
> But I've run into a problem: Netscape/Windows users can't view PDF
> files that are larger than 40 or 50 Kbytes. This happens only with
> Netscape Navigator/Communicator 5.x. The same PDF files display nicely
> with Internet Explorer and with older versions of Netscape (4.06 and
> before).
>
> This seems to be an old bug; it's mentioned in the Acrobat Talk
> archives (http://listsearch.blueworld.com/acrobattalksearch.lasso)
> as far back as 8/97. But I can't seem to find a solution!
>
> I've seen two not-quite-adequate work-arounds:
>
> - Use Internet Explorer
> or
> - Save the file (right-click, then "save link as") and view it
> outside the browser with Acrobat Reader.
>
> But this is kludgy. My colleagues are more likely to just skip the
> PDF document, which is usually something I NEED them to see.
>
> Does anyone know of a fix for this problem, or have an idea where I
> could look for more information?
>
> I've tried Adobe's web site with no luck. (They have a troubleshooting
> tip called "PDF Pages Are Blank Inside Web Browser Window," doc #311184,
> that explains how to configure the browser to work with Acrobat reader,
> which we have already done.) I'm looking for a summary of a real solution
> or some better work-arounds.
>
> Many thanks,
> Anne

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=