Re: CCS (and life before TW)

Subject: Re: CCS (and life before TW)
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 05:16:32 -0700

--- Daniel D Hall <MISTERHALL -at- PRODIGY -dot- NET> wrote:

<snipped lots of good words>

I tend to agree that HTML makes a poor page layout
tool

> Dan Hall

Question raised by Dan's remark: even with CSS, when
did HTML become a 'layout tool?' Dan was on the mark
when he noted (and got <snipped> for it) that
different browsers (indeed, the same browser on
different machines) may handle the same file
differently. If appearance is critical, put the file
up in a different format ... PDF or RTF (which may be
a compound* file readable by /most/ better COTS* word
processors). HTML is great for what it is intended;
lousy for what is is NOT intended ... would anyone
want to make a career of creating graphics with a text
editor? (Thought not.)

* compound file: text and graphics, normally best left
to a page composition tool
* COTS: Commercial Off-The-Shelf

2 cents on what it takes to be a TW: Formal education
is _NOT_ the only maker of a TW; I would suggest a
person who reads and who has an active correspondence
might be a far better TW candidate than a BA/BS Tech
Comm who either (a) slept through the classes or (b)
religiously followed an instructor who lacked all
understanding of the business (in which case the
candidate was ripped off by the school, but that's
another thread). As to working in unrelated jobs (I
pickled metal for a CIA front, pitched papers, and
pumped gas before starting on my Journey to TWhood),
if the person sees ways to document the task ... and
can improve on the procedure ... the person would seem
an excellent TW candidate.

===
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=