Re: pc-manmonth - I had to say it

Subject: Re: pc-manmonth - I had to say it
From: Scott Havens <SHavens -at- ELCOTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:37:57 -0400

I'm sorry. I just don't buy the notion that the way to overcome
ignorance is to cater to it. It's unfortunate that the word in question
has such a similar sound to one that is universally considered
offensive, but that's hardly a reason to remove it from the English
language. If that's the appropriate action, then maybe we'd better get
busy purging our mother tongue of all other words that have potentially
offensive homophones--and banning the introduction of foreign words that
might have similar connotations. Pretentious navel-gazing at its best.
The language police are out in force today! (And now let me get back to
my meal of protein-rich seeds from a variable annual leguminous
vine--I'd certainly never put a PEA in my mouth...)

SRH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=