Re: User friendly term for Metadata

Subject: Re: User friendly term for Metadata
From: Beth Agnew <BAgnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:39:54 -0400

Trying to find a more user friendly term for metadata might lead to
inaccuracy because I don't think the term can be sufficiently deconstructed.
Metadata as "data about data" is pretty easy for users to wrap their minds
around, especially if you give a few examples. Sometimes people just have to
learn new words.

When we talk about metadata in our documentation, we explain that every data
item has certain attributes, such as a file name, file size, location, and
so on. Once users connect the idea of data having characteristics that can
be catalogued, they "get" metadata fairly quickly.

--Beth
Beth Agnew
Manager, Information Development

InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1 Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com

See my friendly face at:
http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/bute/52/techwr-l/a.htm#agnewb