Re: Political Correctness Re: Manmonth or Peoplemonth?

Subject: Re: Political Correctness Re: Manmonth or Peoplemonth?
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:15:06 -0400

Alz Sprache Kevin:
> > Hmm. Is there any political ramification to reviving
> > good ole "thee" and "thou" and "thy" and "thine"?
> > If they were good enough for Will Shakespeare...
> > I believe I *like* a sprinkling of "Wilt thou..." and
> > "Thou mayest not..."

Those forms were eliminated in the late 17th and early
18th century due to PC concerns of the time. They are
the familiar, as opposed to formal, second person.
When you use them, you imply that the person you are
addressing is either your inferior or your intimate peer.
Too bad - "thee" and "thou" have a much better sound
than "you".

As a speaker of Spanish, a language that has both heavy
gender (which is not offensive to Spanish speakers, for
some reason) and rank (which is a minefield) I would
recommend not going there.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=