Re: Help development and market share

Subject: Re: Help development and market share
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:22:03 -0400

Hallo:

What do you want to do? Do you want to learn the most prevalent tool or
choose a tool to use based on your needs and the tool's merits.

Regarding RoboHelp, I have used it since the first iteration of version 4. I
find it consistently buggy. I find the documentation to be poor. I find the
on-line help to have only become better since version 6. I have found the
tech support staff to be apathetic towards my needs and their bugs. I find
their upgrade path too expensive, upgrades are introduced too frequently and
at too high a cost. The "maintenance plan" is an interesting marketing
gimmick that will gain Blue Sky some money at the expense of customers. Of
course, I KNOW others have had better luck and hold a higher opinion of the
product. It will do the job. There are lots of folks using it.

I have heard good things about ForeHelp. I have not used it.

I just signed on with WebWorks Publisher, from Quadralay. I'll let the group
know, I'm sure, what I find out. WWP is to FrameMaker what RoboHelp is to
Microsoft Word. Consequently, WWP will never be a leader in terms of
marketshare. Since I am authoring in FrameMaker, I am banking on WWP to make
things a little more streamlined than the
convert-to-RTF-import-into-Word-and-use-RoboHelp method was previously.

Good luck with your choice.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=