Gender-specific pronouns

Subject: Gender-specific pronouns
From: Spencer Fleury <boylston_st -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 05:27:00 -0700

This is sort of related to the "man-month v.
work-month" thread, but not directly.

My own company has been making every effort to be as
inclusive, gender-wise, as possible with our end-user
documentation. Until recently, when referring to an
unnamed person like the production manager, general
manager, etc, we have used the "he or she will . . . "
construction when using pronouns. Once it was decided
that this construction is a bit clunky, our guidelines
were arbitrarily changed to mandate use of "they /
their," even when referring to only one person.

This *really* bothers the linguistic purist in me, but
my real problem is that when I complained about it, I
could not come up with an acceptable counteroffer.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a
non-gender-specific pronoun set that *also* delineates
between plural and singular?

TIA

Spencer Fleury
Trader Publishing Company
===

Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All
y'all's" is plural possessive.

*This message is made from 100% recycled electrons*

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=