Re: Word macro virus

Subject: Re: Word macro virus
From: Suzanne Pyle <comline -at- GREENNET -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:54:37 -0400

Thanks to all of you including Peter. You were right. I had to get rid of
NORMAL.DOT and reinstall. Not a bad solution overall, and someone else also
recommended the free online virus scanner, Housecall
(http://housecall.antivirus.com/explorer.html) which was also great, and quickly
detected the problem file---something Norton and McCaffe couldn't do.

Suzanne

Peter Lucas wrote:

> When you open Word or create a new document in Word, it uses a template file
> to assign certain default settings, etc. The template is generally the
> NORMAL.DOT file. Make sure you are scanning the directory where this file
> exists because that's how many of these Word macro viruses propagate.
> There's a good chance that you will need to destroy your NORMAL.DOT file and
> start with a new one, because often times after you have scanned and cleaned
> the template, it becomes corrupted.
>
> Good luck!
> Peter Lucas
>
> >Does anyone have any tips on eliminating a macro virus in Word files?
> >I've run two anti-virus utilities on all my files, and no viruses are
> >detected, and yet many people who receive Word or Powerpoint files from
> >me are saying they're infested with a macro virus.
> >
> >thanks,
> >
> >Suzanne

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=