Re: Political Correctness Re: Manmonth or Peoplemonth?

Subject: Re: Political Correctness Re: Manmonth or Peoplemonth?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:03:12 -0400

I'm not sure I agree. However, I am uncertain with whom I do disagree.

1. I avoid gender-specific language and always find a crystal-clear term to
use.

2. This process, though sensitive and politically correct, can be
troublesome because English seems so set up with a predominant use of the
masculine gender throughout the language.

3. I have observed, and it seems to me, that the use of the masculine is
non-gender specific in many instances, that he, man, his, etc., oftentimes
is a gender-neutral use.

4. But then, perhaps I am unduly biased because I am male??

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=