Re: Political Correctness Re: Manmonth or Peoplemonth?

Subject: Re: Political Correctness Re: Manmonth or Peoplemonth?
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rstevens -at- HUBDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:52:34 -0400

This is an issue of considerable contention right now in the English
language. I understand that it is generally agreed that the "generic he"
is in fact no such thing, as suggested by a number of linguistic studies
(I can dig up references if anyone wants). There are still quite a few
arguments going on over what to replace it with, of course.

As a technical writer, I am under the impression that we are supposed to
present our work in such a way as to be clear and effective for the
user. I include the goal of not offending said users in the first two.
Whatever one may personally think of the debate, one must (I am
repeatedly told) keep the users in mind.

In this particular situation, "work hours" seems to cover the
requirements nicely. Its meaning is clear and it does not suggest that
your work force is composed solely of the male gender.

BTW, suggesting that anyone concerned with the question suffers from
immaturity is not, IMO, a productive way to address the issue.

My $.02, adjusted for inflation....

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
Hub Data, Inc.