Re: re N -at- ming symbols? Just s -at- y no!

Subject: Re: re N -at- ming symbols? Just s -at- y no!
From: CASSIN Gilles <GCassin -at- MEGA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:12:50 +0100

<Geoff writes:
<By avoiding naming it, you avoid introducing a whole layer of
<abstraction
<Tom writes:
<You make a good point... for printed material.
<What do you do when trying to convey @ orally?

I thing the best solution is indicate the name of the sign (whichever
you choose - sticking to conventions is better, but if you are
consistent, well...) together with the sign, because even if oral
communication isn't your problem, users will exchange information.
We had lots of trouble with the mac signs that had no name : apple was
OK, we used daisy for the square with circles at the corners thing, and
saucepan for the queer thing beyond description.
Had they given these some names, it'd have helped. (the first use of
'saucepan' had to be explained on the phone by 'see the apple, then the
daisy, well just below, the queer symbol, we call it the saucepan, or
pointed when it was a face-to-face "get me out of the blue" help).

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
(Albert Einstein)
Gilles CASSIN
mailto:gcassin -at- mega -dot- com
+33 1 42 75 40 22
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them. YOU can cite them if you think they were of use.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=