Re: (giggle) Re: Official name for the @ symbol?

Subject: Re: (giggle) Re: Official name for the @ symbol?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:40:16 -0700

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:19:14 -0400, Matt Craver wrote:

>But of course, certain software products from Redmond automatically and by
>default make the same assumption. This makes writing documents with
>commands that use the same symbol infuriating!

Indeed - this is one small beef I have with StarOffice: if I put an email
address in a document, it automatically attaches a mailto: link to it,
even if it isn't an HTML document. This, of course, makes the address
print out looking like a link (underlined and slightly bolded).

>Rule #1 for software design should be:
>Never assume your software is smarter than its user.

Are you kidding? Microsoft made this assumption a de facto standard, and
the vast majority of their users seem to prefer it that way.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

On the edge of sleep, I awoke to a sun so bright
Rested and fearless, cheered by your nearness
I knew which direction was right
The case had been tried by the jury inside
The choice between darkness and light...
- Rush, "Double Agent"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=