Re: PDF Bookmark Question (Compose)

Subject: Re: PDF Bookmark Question (Compose)
From: Walter Hanig <whanig -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:15:35 -0700

At 02:13 PM 4/20/99 -0700, Doane, Beryl wrote:
>I need some information on using Compose (Ambia Software) to generate
>automatic bookmarks in a PDF file.
>
>This project is limited to working with a third-party PS file, and I need a
>quick way to generate bookmarks based on font specifications.
>
>Does anyone have comments (good or bad) on Compose or other software that
>can do this?

I used an earlier version of Compose quite a bit. It was easy to use and a
real time-saver. I used it to build a single PDF from multiple PDFs and to
create bookmarks automatically. The only risk about creating bookmarks
automatically occurs if the source file's styles/tags were not followed
rigorously. Also, you may have to edit (delete) extraneous bookmarks for
headings (like Contents) that have the same font characteristics as other
headings (like a chapter name). Not a big deal and quite fast. Two tips
when creating bookmarks by example

- allow the font to be defined as +/- 0.5 point.
- save your bookmarks settings in a style file (.sty). This saves time when
you have to create bookmarks repeatedly on files created from the same
templates.

Walter

Walter Hanig whanig -at- qualcomm -dot- com
x16651 619.651.6651 (voice) AE-220C
494-5396 (pager) Blood type: O+

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=