Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting

Subject: Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 19:47:05 -0700

> If your work ethic is lousy, it's
> lousy whether you're a contractor or an employee.

Yes, it makes no difference whether you are a contractor or a full-timer. I
agree. There are just as many bad contractors as they're are bad full-timers.

Thus, all the more reason for everyone to stop working with the big, faceless
agencies. These places are just meat processing plants. They have no concern
for making sure the job gets done right. They just want money.

It is so frustrating to watch companies with good products and good people
waste their money hiring morons from Manpower or Hall Kinion. As a small
agency, I cannot work with many companies because some sniveling weasel
bean-counter has decreed that contract workers can only come from one of these
contract processing giants. I could present the company 4 of the brightest
people on the planet, but they won't contract them unless they accept a paltry
rate from margin munching Manpower, et al.

So, I understand what Connie is saying. Yes, the big agencies provide horrible
contractors. This is why everyone full-time and contract needs to get away
from these places. You are much more likely to find a better contractor
working with a small shop or independents. These people have their reputations
at stake, so you're bound to get better work.

Andrew Plato
President / Principal Consultant
Anitian Consulting, Inc.
www.anitian.com