Resources for New Writer / Department

Subject: Resources for New Writer / Department
From: CHIG <chiggins -at- CONTINUUMPERFORMANCE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:18:24 -0400

Dear Sue:

I am a bit in your position - the only "authority" here in a new software
developer. How 'bout this for a title - "Manager, Documentation and
Production". Sheesh, you may even be "Sr. Editor".

As for the books, i haven't yet gotten the ones I have been recommended,
except i do have one on order, for Managing your Documentation project. If
that is the type of thing you could use, it is a "standard" and highly
recommended. It deals with formatting and getting the project out, as well
as the politics of establishing documentation protocol - I hope - that's
what I have been told by dozens who have recommended. The author, ah, let
me see. Have to get back to you on that, it might be at my home. If you
want it, I can call R.J. Julia's, the bookstore down the street from here at
work where I ordered it from

Feel free to email me, if you like. BTW, how are you handling the issue of
establishing criteria for producing a user's manual? I am having some time
with the boss's expectations - For example, he saw one and a half weeks from
the time I first saw the software on a utility to when he wanted it
documented as being "3 weeks to develop the script and 4 weeks to document!
Gotta move faster!" I need to be able to say I need so much time for
testing, so much time for writing, so much time for review and so much time
for editing, final, allow for legal considerations, etc.

Have you any protocols, time wise? Perhaps this is a question for the more
experienced folks out there...How 'bout it, any thoughts?

Cheryl L. Higg

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=