Re: Single Sourcing

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing
From: Sarah O'Keefe <okeefe -at- SCRIPTORIUM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:13:52 -0400

<snip>
Ginger Moskowitz wrote, about single-sourcing:
>I am also curious to how WebWorks answers these questions, if you have any
>info.

If you have FrameMaker files, then you can customize the content that's
coming from FrameMaker via WebWorks Publisher into HTML or WinHelp (or
whatever) in many ways. I won't attempt to give a complete list, but here's
some basic information:

* Target content for one medium only
You can designate certain output as print-only or online-only using
conditional text. This lets you, for example, include detailed information
and screen shots in the print manual and eliminate them from the online
version.

* Embed macros and other code
You can embed WinHelp macros (or JavaScript) directly into the FrameMaker
files. This code is included in the online files, but hidden in the print
version.

* Cross-references
You can set your cross-references to look one way in the print version (see
"Heading" on page x) and not in the online version (see Heading). Of
course, the cross-references become hyperlinks.

* chunking information
You can divide your information into topics based on certain paragraph
formats. For example, you could decree that every heading 1 and heading 2
triggers a new topic in WinHelp.

The index markers are translated to K keywords in WinHelp. (In HTML, the
index itself becomes a linked document.)

* hypertext
You can embed FrameMaker hypertext commands (normally irrelevant in print)
and have those commands translated to work in WinHelp or HTML.

If anyone would like more information, feel free to contact me. You might
also check our web site; we posted a review of the new version of WebWorks
Publisher 2000 last week.

Regards,

Sarah O'Keefe

Sarah O'Keefe Scriptorium Publishing Services, Inc.
FrameMaker ACE (Adobe Certified Expert) 919-481-2701
WebWorks Publisher certified trainer okeefe -at- scriptorium -dot- com
http://www.scriptorium.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=