training materials

Subject: training materials
From: Melissa Morgan <mmorgan -at- CDG-HARGRAY -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:45:20 -0500

In my current job, I have primarily worked with user manuals
(300+ pages), programming manuals, and on-line help. Right
now I am putting together three training guides for three different
software products (thank goodness some of the information can
be used in more than one guide). They are coming together
pretty quickly, as I am lucky enough to have devoted SMEs
for a few hours every day.

The support/installation personnel will be taking these guides
with them when they do the week-long installation and
training at customer sites. The intention is to leave the guides
with the customer after the training is complete, and that the
customers can use this information to do the daily tasks.
Therefore, I have organized the information by task, but I'm
not sure where to go with it now.

Here are some of the ideas I came up with for the organization:

* Organize tasks according to the order of presentation by the trainers.

* Organize the tasks based on the main menu of the software (primarily
a task-based menu, but some options are more conceptual).

* Organize the tasks based on daily work flow.

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I searched the
archives
and couldn't come up with anything that truly applied. Thanks in advance!

Any opinions expressed here are mine, not those of my employer.

"Patience takes too much time!"

Melissa Morgan
http://www -dot- mmorgan -at- cdg-hargray -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=