Who Decides?

Subject: Who Decides?
From: Linda Castellani <linda -at- GRIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:25:07 -0700

In your company, who decides what the documentation requirements are?

We are implementing the Software Product Life Cycle concept (attempting to
impose order on chaos), and I just got out of a meeting in which I was
informed that Marketing decides what documentation is required, whether a
user manual, or online help, or both or something else entirely, and this
seems ridiculous to me.

I can see Marketing making *recommendations*, but I think that the decision
about what documents are created should be made by the people who have the
best idea what vehicle will best serve the product and the audience in
question.

What do you think?
==========================
Obligatory bad haiku: