Re: FWD: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?

Subject: Re: FWD: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?
From: J Arnopolin <jarnopol -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:34:26 -0500

I received this privately from Jan Boomsliter <boomah -at- concentric -dot- net>
She asked me to post it to the list.

>Hi,
>I've been waiting for someone to post this: company reps who demand
previous salary on an app >before going further may well be doing a salary
survey, and no job opening exists.

>My $0.02 worth: NEVER tell your previous or current salary; it's personal
business and has nothing to >do with the job you are discussing. IME some
HR people are not happy with this answer, hiring >managers rarely push it.
Re the HR people, too bad. If the hiring manager wants you, you're in.

>What to say? First, if you've been presented by an agency, you don't
discuss salary requirements at >all; the ballpark is known. Second, the
interview is too early to be discussing the compensation >package; and
that's how I refer to it, making it clear that $$ are not the only criteria
I use to make the >decision. So I say, "I'd prefer to discuss a
compensation package when we talk about an offer; I want >to remain
flexible about salary.

>What I thought I "knew:" previous employer verifies dates of employment
and last job title. I thought >that was the law of the land. Is it true
that it varies by state? Yikes! Maybe it's true by default - the >employer
won't tell anything else for fear of liability.

>Jan

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=